Saturday, September 21, 2024

My Grandmother's Riddle

 



09.20.2024


My Grandmother’s Riddle

 

At 6 a.m., one ring of the shrine bell would wake me up. Breathing in energetically, Grandma would sing:

Bussetsu ma-ka han-nya-ha-ra mi-ta-shingyo

As she sang the Heart Sutra in a strange, monotone voice, I would slowly get out of my warm futon next to hers. When she was done chanting at our home Buddhist shrine in our room, we’d move to the kitchen where our Shinto shrine sat up high and pray for a good day ahead. This was my daily routine until I was about six years old.

...fu-zo-fu- ghenze- ko-. Ku-chu mu-shikimu-. Ju-so-gyo-shiki, mu-ghen, ni-ji-bi-de- shin, i-…

To me this was a riddle:

...wind elephant, wind, child tax-break. Dreaming mid-air of being colour blind. Baking soda, morale, no-limit, ni-ji-bi-de- [mysterious word], new frowning face…

It was an absolute shock when I first heard the English version: “No increasing, no decreasing... no eyes, no ears, no nose...” What?!

I had no idea, and I wonder how much Grandma knew as well. She’d insert word breaks whenever her breath ran out. The sutra is written and recited in the antiquated Japanese — she would have memorized it purely by the sound. The only word I got right was “air/sky/empty,” which appeared many times in the song. 

My late Grandma, Chiyoko, would have learnt this chant through her diligent pilgrimages to many temples, regular visits to Mount Koya where many of our family members rest, and her encounters with the local Shingon temple priest. She recited the sutra every morning and every evening. This was her practice and way of life.

I’m grateful for the mysterious dharma seed she planted in me. It led me to the wonderful sangha at Lion’s Roar. It led me to meet the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, Pema Chödrön (both of whom remind me of my grandma), and many others — teachings like the three below, which each explore the wisdom of the Heart Sutra.

Gya-te-gya-te haragya-te hara-san-gya-te bowaji- sowaka- han-nya-shin-gyo-

I’ll always remember how she used to sing and smile.

—Megumi Yoshida, art director, Lion’s Roar magazine

 


Unlocking the Wisdom of the Heart Sutra

 

The Heart Sutra is a pithy, powerful text. If you understand it, says Ven. Guan Cheng, you understand the Buddha’s teachings.

 

When you’re seeing someone with hatred and anger, then that rewitnessing portion can stand back and say, “I’m discriminating against this person and seeing them with anger. Could I see them with love?” The rewitnessing portion can also work in harmful ways. For example, your ego consciousness, the mind manager, can assess with your eyes and say, “Hey, here comes John and that guy is bad! He ripped me off, so I’m going to do the same thing to him!” In this case, you’re standing back as a third person, and you’re influencing your subject, yourself, to do negative things. The rewitnessing portion after this interaction is protecting your ego.



ADVERTISEMENT


The Heart Sutra: the Fullness of Emptiness


Emptiness is not something to be afraid of, says Thich Nhat Hanh. The Heart Sutra teaches us that form may be empty of self but it’s full of everything else.

 

If you are a poet, you will see clearly that there is a cloud floating in this sheet of paper. Without a cloud, there will be no rain; without rain, the trees cannot grow; and without trees, we cannot make paper. The cloud is essential for the paper to exist. If the cloud is not here, the sheet of paper cannot be here either. We can say that the cloud and the paper inter-are. “Interbeing” is a word that is not in the dictionary yet, but if we combine the prefix “inter-” with the verb “to be,” we have a new verb, “inter-be.”



The Heart Sutra Will Change You Forever

 

Penetrate the true meaning of the Heart Sutra, says Karl Brunnhölzl, and nothing will be the same again. The secret is making it personal.


There is no doubt that the Heart Sutra is the most frequently used and recited text in the entire Mahayana Buddhist tradition, which still flourishes in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Tibet, Mongolia, Bhutan, China, parts of India and Nepal, and, more recently, also in the Americas and Europe. Many people have said many different things about what the Heart Sutra is and what it is not, such as being the heart of wisdom, a statement of how things truly are, the key teaching of the Mahayana, a condensation of all the Prajnaparamita Sutras (the Buddha’s second turning of the wheel of dharma), or an explanation of emptiness in a nutshell. In order to understand the actual words of the Heart Sutra, it’s helpful to first explore its background within the Buddhist tradition as well as the meanings of “prajnaparamita” and “emptiness.”



LION’S ROAR PROMOTION

No comments:

Post a Comment