Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Hello, It’s Halloween

 



10.27.2023


Hello, It’s Halloween


Halloween is just around the corner. In my neighborhood, front lawns are adorned with a haunting array of ghosts, pumpkins, and spiderwebs, prepared for an evening of eerie enchantment.

The Halloween we know began as Samhain, a pagan festival that signaled the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter. It celebrated the introduction of darker days ahead and marked the time of year where it was thought the veil between the physical and unseen world was the thinnest. In Mexico, Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, celebrates those who have passed on. Families encourage visits from the spirit world by setting up altars for their departed loved ones, decorating them with photos, offerings of favorite foods, and flowers.

In Buddhism, there too are Halloween corollaries to be found in unseen beings, multiple realms of existence, and even hungry ghosts. There also exists a deep appreciation for the mysteries and wisdom found within life’s more shadowy aspects.

As the three stories below will tell you, Halloween brings with it the opportunity to reflect on and even celebrate the darker side of life. Beyond the traditions of costumes and candy, it reminds us of the delicate balance of life and death, light and dark, and the great lessons of both.

—Lilly Greenblatt, Digital Editor, Lion’s Roar


The Great Lessons of Halloween


What do you want to be for Halloween? Who do you want to be in life? Ira Sukrungruang on the costumes we wear.


I find the cartoon my son watches catchy and creepy. Hello, it’s Halloween echoes in my head. I say it without knowing I’m saying it. I hum the tune without knowing I’m humming the tune.

If I dwell on it — I try not to because it makes me think I’m a bad parent — the cartoon depicts a boy and girl entering a haunted house and encountering evil beings out to do them harm. Sometimes I wonder where are the parents of these two children and why are they allowing them to walk in desolate places. Sometimes I want to say to that boy and girl, Turn around. Do not go in there. Bad things happen in places like this: zombies will stagger out of graves; witches will boil something green in cauldrons; vampires will bare their pointy fangs. Boy and girl, there is danger in this venture, the possibility of death.

Perhaps I overthink this. Since becoming a father, I overthink a lot of things.

Perhaps I should not shield my son from the notion of death, because death is inevitable.

Perhaps there is something beautiful in the celebration of the darker side of life.

 


ADVERTISEMENT


Under the Skeleton Tree

 

Bonnie Nadzam relives the childhood ritual of playing dead.
 

The year I was in the third grade might have been the last year we played dead beneath the Skeleton Tree. It was just before dinner — nearing dark. The tree stretched its bare, iron-limbed branches above us. There were rippled gray skies and golden leaves spinning on their stems. When it was over, we sat up to check in with each other: Did you die? “I really did this time,” I said. “The person you’re talking to isn’t even the person who was here before.” My older sister was skeptical. “Who are you then?” “I don’t know,” I said. I was wonderstruck. “I don’t know! But I know I’ve never been here before.”  

 


Spirit in the House, Witch Under the Bridge


Karen Connelly on giving unseen beings their due.

 

In a rural Thai village, when I was seventeen, I learned to respect (rather than loathe, fear, deny, or denigrate) ghosts, witches, ghouls, and spirits. I’d had a painful divorce from a punitive Christian religion, which declared, without irony, that all supernatural phenomena were the work of Satan. So for me, until Thailand, fear of the supernatural was always about fearing evil.

Imagine my delight to discover Buddhism and the many legends and practices it has absorbed from folkloric traditions. Buddhism in Southeast Asia is big and old enough to hold entire worlds of spirit, which contain energies we cannot always see but often feel. Most homes and businesses host a spirit house, like a miniature temple, where humans honor unseen visitors with flowers, incense, food, and water. Many highly educated Thai people, along with millions of the rural population, believe in the tutelary spirits of place. From spirits, ghosts are hardly a leap: many people in Thailand believe in those restless beings trapped between realms and lives, often because of crimes committed in a previous existence.

 


LION’S ROAR PROMOTION

No comments:

Post a Comment